News flash. It’s been scientifically proven that your kissing expertise can make or break a relationship.
There are plenty of ways to be a bad kisser, from a sloppy puppy dog tongue, to maintaining constant eye contact throughout, and the worst of them all – the pokey lizard tongue. Don’t be that guy.
Research, via Time, shows that kissing frequency directly correlates with relationship satisfaction. 59% of men and 66% of women have ended a relationship just because someone was a bad kisser.
That’s a little rough, you might think, but the first kiss in any relationship is supposedly a necessary risk in every budding sexual relationship and your slobbery washing machine mouth is going to seriously salt your game. Especially when it’s been proven that people remember their first kiss more vividly than the first time they had sex.
Kissing is so important that a ten-year psychology study undertaken in Germany in the 1980’s found that men who kiss their wives before work live 5 years longer, make 30% more money and are far less likely to get in car accident. So if you’re not one of PDA, perhaps it’s time to get over that.
But why do we kiss?
It’s apparently how we test if someone would (biologically) be a good mate. The exchange of olfactory, tactile, and postural information might trigger unconscious mechanisms that guide us in deciding whether we should continue. A single kiss might even tell us about a potential partner’s level of commitment and genetic compatibility.
There’s also a big difference between what men and women expect out of a smooch. The Science of Kissing: What Our Lips Are Telling Us highlighted:
- Kissing matters more to women than men.
- Women were very focused on men’s teeth and hygiene.
- Men were much more likely to see kissing as a mere step toward sex.
- These insights are true across other cultures as well.
Right, so now we know kissing is far more important in wooing a lady (and staying in her good graces) than we ever would have imagined, here are some helpful hints, via The Art Of Kissing:
- Don’t jam your tongue down her throat. This is women’s most frequent complaint. Nothing will be gained the further you go.
- Keep your ears attuned to her breathing, and make sure she has room to breathe. Suffocating mid-kiss isn’t going to make her come back for more.
- ‘Listen’ to the way she’s kissing. Match her tempo and mimic her tongue action.
- 53% of women prefer to kiss a clean-shaven man. Maybe it’s a worth a shave pre makeout session.
- 96% of women reported that they like neck kisses, so make that your alternative to the mouth.
- Keep it creative. Women complain men don’t change up their kissing style enough and that kissing can be repetitive, so try a few new kisses like the neck and ears.
RELATED: 11 Signs She’s Not The One
Click through the gallery for some of the most iconic kisses through history.