Every man needs to know what’s happening around the world. Here’s today’s essential water cooler banter for the magnificent bastard.
#1 Terrorist Attacks On Paris
- The Associated Press and French media have quoted senior officials as saying Belgian Abdelhamid Abaaoud is the mastermind of the deadly attacks, that killed 129 people [9news]
- The Eiffel Tower has reopened three days after closing because of the wave of terror attacks on Paris [ABC Online]
- Hacker collective Anonymous has taken to YouTube to state they will be exacting retribution on terrorist group ISIL following the attacks [9news]
#2 Mitchell Johnson Retires From Cricket
- One of Australia’s greatest ever fast bowlers has decided to walk away after contemplating retirement intensely for the past couple of months
- Johnson retires after 73 Tests as the country’s fourth highest Test wicket-taker with 311 scalps.
- Johnson’s series-sweeping 37 wickets at an average of 13.97 in the Ashes series two summers ago will live large in Australian cricketing folklore forever [Geelong Advertiser]
#3 Charlie Sheen Has Confirmed To Be HIV Positive
- TMZ is reporting that Sheen — who is due to sit down with Today show host Matt Lauer for a live tell-all interview — is taking the position that he has been HIV-positive for over two years but has conquered the disease with medication [News.com.au]
#4 Global Resistance To Antibiotics
- The World Health Organisation has warned the overuse of antibiotics is fuelling dangerously high resistance levels and called on individual countries to tackle misconceptions about the drugs [ABC Online]
#5 Heatwave To Hit Australia This Week
- A scorching heatwave is building across the country this week with the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) forecasting severe and extreme conditions in some areas.
- Darwin: 35 degrees Celsius until Sunday
- Sydney: 33C tomorrow, 38C on Friday
- Brisbane: 30C tomorrow, 34C on Saturday
- Melbourne: 31C today, 34C on Thursday
- Canberra: 30-33C from tomorrow to Sunday
- Adelaide: 34C today, 38C tomorrow
- Perth: 35C on Saturday [ABC Online]