It’s Monday, and if you’re living in Sydney, it appears the weather has taken a turn for the worse. It’s not all doom and gloom, though. Monday also means we have a fresh batch of pointless and awesome gems for you to annoy your co-workers and loved ones with.
If you’ve ever wondered how healthy your skim latte is, how many medals Australia brought home from the Olympics, how to get more matches on Tinder or how actors play drunk so easily, read on.
#1 What Kind Of Milk Is The Healthiest?
Soy? Almond? Skim? Deciding what kind of milk should go in your coffee has become a bonafide first world problem. Luckily, Business Insider evaluated the health benefits of the most commonly used dairy milk and milk substitutes and ranked them from best to worst. Here’s how your favourite milk product stacks up, per 8-oz glass.
- Skim Lactaid: 90 calories
- Skim Milk: 83 calories
- Cashew Milk: 25 calories
- Almond Milk: 30 calories
- Coconut Milk: 80 calories
- 6.1% Milk: 103 calories
- Hemp: 140 calories
- Whole Milk: 148 calories
- Rice Milk: 112 calories
- Soy Milk: 131 calories
#2 The Rio Olympics Medal Table
Well, that’s it folks, the 2016 Rio Olympics have come to a close. With more than 11,000 athletes and 200 nations competing, there were plenty of gold medal winners and inevitably some countries who didn’t perform quite as well. Here’s a run down of the medal table now that the Games finished up.
- United States: 46 gold, 37 silver, 38 bronze – 121 medals
- Great Britain: 27 gold, 23 silver, 17 bronze – 67 medals
- China: 26 gold, 18 silver, 26 bronze – 70 medals
- Russia: 19 gold, 18 silver, 19 bronze – 56 medals
- Germany: 17 gold, 10 silver, 15 bronze – 42 medals
- Japan: 12 gold, 8 silver, 21 bronze – 41 medals
- France: 10 gold, 18 silver, 14 bronze – 42 medals
- South Korea: 9 gold, 3 silver, 9 bronze – 21 medals
- Italy: 8 gold, 12 silver, 8 bronze – 28 medals
- Australia: 8 gold, 11 silver, 10 bronze – 29 medals
#3 Actors Who Were Actually Drunk On Set
Acting can be a tough gig, not to mention incredibly nerve-wracking. That’s why it comes as no surprise that many of the world’s most iconic actors and actresses have turned to a little Dutch courage to get them through a film shoot. Here are 5 film stars who were actually drunk on set, via Liquor.com.
- Margot Robbie – The Wolf Of Wall Street: To get through her sex scene with Leonardo DiCaprio, Robbie said it was made easier by “3 shots of tequila…at like 9 o’clock in the morning.”
- Nicolas Cage – Leaving Las Vegas: According to various sources, Cage would get drunk, record himself, and then review his speech to prepare for his role.
- Neve Campbell, Matt Dillon & Denise Richards – Wild Things: In one scene of this erotic thriller, Neve Campbell swigs from a bottle of champagne, but according to reports, there was a fair amount of offscreen swigging to loosen nerves.
- Martin Sheen – Apocalypse Now: According to Sheen, he had “been drinking all day” during the filming of a scene where he karate punches a mirror, tapping into some personal demons to bring the scene to life.
- Robert Shaw – Jaws: For Jaws’ memorable drunken boat conversation scene Shaw convinced Spielberg that a bit of booze might help the actors hit the right mood, and a bit evidently turned into a bunch. Shaw blacked out and shooting was suspended for the day, but his authentic performance still made the cut.
#4 Get More Matches With This Tinder Trick
Sick of aimlessly swiping? Apparently, you’re more likely to hold down a decent match and get a date with one of Tinder’s more recent features: GIFs.
New research by Dr. Jess Carbino, a sociologist at Tinder suggests that users are 30% more likely to get a response from matches if they open the conversation with a GIF.
“Instead of searching for the ultimate opening line, sending a GIF lets you show your personality and sense of humour,” Carbino told Mashable. “GIFs immediately lighten up the tone of a conversation and are a great way to push past the small talk.”
Conversations also apparently last twice as long with GIFs than those without. No wonder, then, that 100 million GIFs have been sent so far since Tinder introduced them. Time to get creative, Casanova.
#5 More Random Animal Facts
Everyone loves a random animal fact. It’s our weird bid to further understand the cute and cuddly creatures around us we lovingly refer to as pets…so here’s 10 more, via The Fact Site.
- Gorillas can catch human colds and other illnesses
- The female lion does 90% of the hunting
- Almost half the pigs in the world are kept by farmers in China
- Cows have 4 stomachs
- A group of owls is called parliament
- The flamingo can only eat when its head is upside down
- Alligators can live up to 100 years
- The only mammals to undergo menopause are elephants, humpback whales and human females.
- A housefly hums in the key F
- During World War II, Americans tried to train bats to drop bombs