The random facts and general points of manly interest are hitting hard and fast this week. You guessed it. It’s Pointless and Awesome – where procrastination is done right.
Best & Worst Foods To Eat When You’re Stressed
Slogging it out on your manic Monday is a fact of daily life. The appealing notion of throwing a chair through the window and jumping out? That can be helped with the right diet. These are the best and worst foods to eat when you’re stressed according to The Huffington Post.
- Avoid – refined sugars such as soft drink, chocolate, ice cream, candy and biscuits. Instead, replace it with fruit of dark chocolate with 85% cocoa or more.
- Avoid – white carbs or simple carbs. That is, chips, pies, white flour, bread and pasta which can cause a rise in blood sugar levels before dropping off rapidly. Instead, opt for low-releasing carbohydrate snacks such as whole grain crackers with natural peanut butter, wholemeal toast with avocado, or hummus with veggie sticks.
- Avoid – caffeine which will give you the jitters, heart palpitations and sleep issues. Caffeine also doesn’t help to reduce stress. Go for tea instead or fruit-infused water.
- Eat – plant-based foods including vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and wholegrains.
- Eat – vitamin C foods including oranges, kiwi, berries, kale and capsicum which helps with building the immune system.
- Eat – prebiotic foods which helps to cultivate healthy bacteria in the body.
- Eat – magnesium-rich foods such as green leafy veges, fruit, nuts, seeds and seafood which can all help to fight fatigue.
- Drink – herbal tea such as chamomile, lavender and passionflower tea which all have calming effects for easing into sleep.
Random Roger Federer Facts
He’s just become the oldest male to ever take out the Wimbledon crown and as always he did it with style, grace and class. As a fitting tribute to the Swiss maestro, here are some random facts from Tennis Smash you may not have known about.
- As of his Wimbledon win, Federer’s career prize money sits at US$107.3 million whilst total career earnings including endorsements equates to US$625 million.
- No male player has been ranked No.1 for as long as Federer; the Swiss has spent a cumulative total of 302 weeks at the summit.
- In his 18-year pro career, Federer has not once retired mid-match.
- The multilingual Federer speaks English, German, Swiss German and French.
- After winning his first Wimbledon title, he was gifted a milking cow, which he eventually named ‘Juliette’. Juliette was slaughtered in 2005.
- He can play the piano
What Mixing Weed & Alcohol Does To Your Body
Scientists have been hard at work exploring the effects of mixing weed and alcohol, a common practice amongst users called ‘crossfade’. According to a Vice report and Scott Lukas, a professor of psychiatry and pharmacology at Harvard Medical School, “Not everyone responds to alcohol and marijuana the same [way].”
“Marijuana does a unique thing to your small intestine that alters the motility [the way things move through your intestines] of your gastrointestinal tract (GI tract) in such a way that it causes your blood alcohol levels to actually be lower than…if you had just consumed alcohol by itself.”
A second study by Lukas found that alcohol actually has the inverse effect on THC (the psychoactive constituent of cannabis). In other words, if you drink first and then smoke, it causes the levels of THC in the body’s plasma to skyrocket, intensifying the high. There are limits though. The report also confirms that if a person drinks too much before smoking, they’ll run the risk of ‘greening out’ – a nauseous sensation that kicks in leaving users feeling sick and overwhelmed after getting too high.
“Individuals may go pale and sweaty, feel dizzy with “the spins,” nauseous, and may even start vomiting. This is often followed by the need or strong desire to lie down,” tolf Constance Scharff, an addiction specialist in California, in a column for Psychology Today.
Mark Zuckerberg Claims Facebook Stops Men From Cheating
Brace yourselves, unfaithful men. Mark Zuckerberg is claiming that Facebook is making it harder for men to cheat on their wives. According to Independent, Zuckerberg said in a conference that people are using the social network platform to find out more about their partners, and any skeletons in the closet. You can find out exactly what he said here as well as some details on his Presidential candidacy for 2020.