Earlier this year UFC champion Conor McGregor stepped into the boxing ring to go up against the undefeated Floyd Mayweather. Today there’s fresh claims that the role could be reversed with UFC President Dana White announcing that the 40-year-old boxer is currently in talks to take his talents into the octagon.
“We’re talking to Floyd about doing a UFC deal,” White told ESPN overnight. “It’s real. He was talking about [boxing] Conor McGregor. Was that real? Have you heard Floyd talk about many things that aren’t real? He usually tips his hand when he’s in the media, and then that shit ends up happening.”
White then reaffirmed his own backing behind the idea, adding that, “we’re interested in doing something with Floyd”.
“Everything is a realistic possibility. Mayweather vs. McGregor fucking happened. Anything is possible.”
Mayweather insisted his fight with McGregor four months ago would be the last. That final fight cemented Mayweather in the record books with a stellar 50 wins out of 50 fights and zero losses, but he may not be done just yet.
Commenting on White’s claims, Mayweather didn’t leave much in the dark when it came to his intentions.
“They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back,” said Mayweather. “I can come right back. If I wanted to, I can come right back to the UFC. I can go fight in the Octagon. I can do a three- or four-fight deal in the Octagon and make a billion dollars. Remember, I’m Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather.”
That you are, Mayweather. That you are.
It’s always MONEY season. pic.twitter.com/vdOC5xPrqB
— Floyd Mayweather (@FloydMayweather) December 20, 2017