In an unfortunate and freakish turn of events, a British man was killed by an electronic cinema seat after he had dropped his phone under it.
According to the Birmingham Mail, the man lost his phone between two of the ‘Gold Class’ seats. He attempted to retrieve it from under the foot rest at the end of the film and in doing so he accidentally triggered the footrest which clamped down on his head.
His frantic partner alerted cinema staff who quickly freed the man by breaking the electronic chair. By the time emergency services arrived the man had gone into cardiac arrest. Paramedics on the scene managed to restart the man’s heart before he was transported to a nearby hospital.
Tragically, a week later a spokesperson from the Vue cinema company announced that the man had died in hospital.
“Following an incident which took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, we can confirm that a customer was taken to hospital that evening,” the cinema’s statement said.
“We are saddened to learn that he passed away on Friday 16 March.”
“A full investigation into the nature of the incident is ongoing. Our thoughts and condolences are with the family who have our full support and assistance.”