Curls have gotten a bad rap for a long time. Admit it: when you think of men with curly hair, you’re picturing the untamed tresses of a Game of Thrones heathen or the overly-tamed wig of a 17th century French nobleman. What you’re forgetting about are the lovely locks that have become Entourage star Adrian Grenier’s signature style, or Justin Timberlake’s notorious closely cropped curls.
But we’re here to abolish those curly stigmas. Remember when your mum told you to eat your crusts to get curls? Mum always knows best. Plus, curls get the girls, it’s a fact. Luscious, thick, full hair is innately attractive to a woman because a) it means you’re not going bald any time soon and b) your children are likely to inherit the same attractive hairline.
Naturally wavy hair can pose a few challenges, but it also has the advantage of looking fuller and standing out from the omnipresent crowds of straight-haired, side-parted clones. We say it’s time to embrace your mane’s twists and turns, with these men’s curly hairstyles.
Men’s Curly Hairstyles: Tips & Tricks
We all know that curly hair isn’t the easiest to manage. One minute you’re rocking glossy Shirley Temple ringlets and the next you look like Lenny Kravitz, and not in a good way. It might seem like one extreme or another for guys with curly hair, but there are some easy ways to maintain those waves and have them looking pristine and effortless in no time.
- Shampoo only once every 2-3 days to keep hair from getting dry, and use a moisturising conditioner to cut back on frizz.
- If your goal is tight and tidy curls, use a high-hold, matte-finish styling product, and work it in from the roots when your hair is still damp.
- If you want to maintain volume in your curly mop, use a moisturising sea salt spray.
EXPERT TIP – Anthony Nader, RAW Salon Sydney
Embrace those curls you were born with guys and maximise the texture and different hair shapes this season.
A few tips for men’s curly hairstyles to consider are;
- If your hair strands are on the thicker side and you can’t manage the day to day styling, ask your hairstylist for some razored out pieces haphazardly cut throughout as this will give your hair more manageability and also be less buffi.
- Don’t use a dry matt product as this will only make your hair larger than life and also your curls will be less defined.
- To keep your curls looking and feeling soft, make sure you use a moisturising conditioner to keep hydrated.
- When having your haircut, I always point cut the very ends, as this gives your curls more softness rather than cutting a blunt straight line which will only give the illusion of a “boxie” hard edged appearance.
Men’s Curly Hairstyles: How To Wear It
Now you’ve mastered curly hair maintenance, let’s get down to hairstyles. Whether you prefer it long, short or in between, luckily there’s plenty of inspiration from the fashionable fellas of Hollywood.
Game of Thrones heartthrob Kit Harington is a prime example of long curly hair done right. The actor keeps his tresses shoulder length and fuss-free. If you’re partial to a shorter style, One Direction’s Harry Styles and Gossip Girl’s Penn Badgley make a statement with styles that are longer on top and cropped around the years. As for mid-length styles, look to Orlando Bloom and Matthew McConaughey for slicked back and sharp hairspo.
Styles to avoid are anything that resembles Justin Timberlake during his NSYNC days or the parted ringlets of Lost’s Hugo Hurley.