If you’ve ever wondered (let’s face it: you have) how your hygiene habits stack up against the average stud, you’re in luck. We just conducted an anonymous survey of 2,000 men from all over Australia, with the noble aim of exposing the weirdest and worst things guys do in the bathroom.
So: girlfriends, wives and casual Tinder acquaintances—avert your eyes—or risk knowing what your men are really doing while they’re talking to you on the phone.
Although men have long complained about how long it takes women to get ready to go out, the results of the survey paint a different picture.
“Women may be shocked to hear that men spend an average of 29 minutes getting ready for work, a date or another important life event.”
When it came to bathroom behaviour, the survey showed when it came to showering, as many as 20 per cent admitted they only wash their ‘important bits’ rather than the entire body.
A third of respondents also said they happily go to work without showering. On the other hand; over half revealed they took time to moisturise and care for their skin.
There are two types of people, those that pee in the shower and liars.
— Chris Horseman (@chrishorseman82) July 26, 2018
83 per cent admitted to urinating while in the shower, to the apparent horror of their partners. However we reckon further research is required into whether women partake in this lazy pleasure too.
While most men take care of their teeth, 40 per cent of those surveyed claim to only brush their teeth once a day. The same number of men (i.e. 40 per cent) saved time by brushing their teeth in the shower.
“Although some areas were neglected, fingernails and ears received surprisingly close attention, with 70 per cent saying they regularly cleaned these areas.”
Our survey also uncovered some gross toilet habits; leaving the toilet seat up was just the start. This unsavoury behaviour was worse in public toilets, with as many as 10 per cent of participants saying they didn’t flush after they used the bathroom.
Perhaps to cope with their compatriots (or their own) shitty behaviour, 30 per cent revealed they line the toilet seat with toilet paper when using an unfamiliar bathroom. The same percentage also preferred to ‘scrunch’ their toilet paper rather than fold.
Questionable domestic behaviour was also exposed, with 70 per cent of men admitting they had no problem breaking wind in front of their partner. Meanwhile 80 per cent said they often spent time gaming or Instagramming while on the toilet.
See the full survey results below
- 28 Minutes is the average time it takes an Aussie male to get ready for work, a date or other important life events.
- Over 70% admit they have no issues breaking wind in front of their partner.
- 1 in 5 only wash the important bits rather than the entire body.
- 2 in 5 claim to only brush their teeth once a day… the same goes for using dental floss.
- 7 in 10 regularly clean under their fingernails, the same figure applies for cleaning their ears.
- Over 50% admit to preferring to sit down to pee.
- 1 in 10 are guilty of public toilet behaviour like not flushing and peeing on the seat.
- 2 in 5 spit in the urinal or toilet when peeing (although we think this number is higher).
- 1 in 5 refuse to clean the porcelain after a deadly number two.
- 4 in 5 are gaming and instagramming when sitting on the toilet.
- Only 10% admit to talking on the phone whilst doing a number 2.
- Over half are guilty of regularly leaving the toilet seat up.
- 3 in 10 men line the toilet with toilet paper when using unfamiliar loo’s… The same figure applies to men who scrunch rather than fold.
- 4 in 10 brush their teeth in the shower.
- 4 in 5 men are guilty of shower nose blowing… even more admitted to peeing in the shower. Yes, some 83%.
- Over 50% admit to masturbating regularly in the shower.
- 30% will happily go to work without showering… peeewww.
- 53% take time to moisturise and look after their skin.
- 7 in 10 take the time to trim their pubic hair. So metro! The same figure applies to those who trim nose & ear hair.