If you’re a bit of a goldilocks when it comes to your hair – not too short, not too long, but in between – then you’ll be pleased to know there is plenty of inspiration when it comes to medium length hair for men.
In fact, medium hair has been adopted by many of Hollywood’s elite, including Chris Hemsworth, Jared Leto, Bradley Cooper and even Leonardo Di Caprio.
But what exactly constitutes medium length hair? Many grooming experts define it as being anywhere between two to four inches long, roughly shoulder length. If it goes past your collarbone, then you’re stepping into long hair territory.
With medium length hair, whether you’re rocking it long on top and sharp on the sides, or leaving it tousled and fuss-free, you’re open to more hairstyling options that can be part shaved, straight, wavy and of course, with as little or as much product in your hair as you like.
Check out some of the men’s medium haircuts below along with our expert tips on how to maintain it.
Men’s Medium Hairstyles: Tips & Tricks
Just because you aren’t rocking an elaborate mohawk or mullet, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be spending time styling and maintaining the quality of your mid-length hair. With these easy tips and tricks, you can take your hair from drab to dapper.
- Start with clean, towel-dried hair.
- Using a blow dryer, begin directing your hair upwards until fully dry.
- Use a brush to take down any unwanted volume on the top or sides of your hair.
- If you have wavy hair, work in a matte paste or cream.
- If you have straight hair, try a higher-shine wax. Or, for a wet look, comb through some leave-in conditioner from the root to the tip when hair is still damp.
Expert Tip: International Stylist, Kevin Murphy
- The current look for medium hair is basically short hair that has been slightly grown-out, just over the ears. Whatever you do, don’t over-style it, you want the hair to have a natural texture and matte finish.
- The great thing about medium length hair is that its so versatile and with the right products, you can have a new look every day.
- Many men don’t wash their hair properly, but if you’re going to let your hair grow out, using a good shampoo and conditioner is vital to keep it looking great.
- The cut is really important. Make sure you ask your hairdresser for a square shape because if the cut is too round it will look feminine.
Medium Length Hairstyles FAQ
You Might Also Like
Shawn Mendes shows men how to rock mid-length hair with some natural curls.
A perfect example of men’s hair that is kept shorter around the sides but with greater length on top to provide great contrast.
Simple, styled mid-length hair.
John Krasinki has been rocking perfectly sculpted hair for years now.
Long hair on top with short hair around the back and sides makes for a truly versatile hairstyle for men.
This hairstyle may encroach into the longer territory, but being kept tucked back behind the ears makes for a tidy finish.
This slicked hairstyle might not be for all men, but if you’ve got the hair length and the right facial structure, it can look great.
Another example of a hard cut, where there is no fading between the longer hair on top and shorter hair on the bottom. It makes for a head-turning look suitable for formal occasions.
As this hairstyle proves, you don’t need much hair product to style.
This medium hairstyle combines aspects of the side-part, the slicked back and the pompadour all into one great hairstyle.
A simple side-part style haircut with added volume.
Robert Pattison’s unkempt hair is incredibly low maintenance yet incredibly stylish.
This mid-length men’s haircut is borderline messy, combined with a bit of bed hair. We like to think of it as organised chaos.
Another fine example of a medium hairstyle that is slicked back slightly to keep the hair out of the face.
If you get yourself a hairdryer then you too can style your hair into this slicked back-style look, without the need for excessive hair product.
Another simple, well-styled haircut that takes full advantage of the hair length.
Ashton Kutcher has been sporting mid-length hair for years. He’s perfected the messy, yet tidy look.
If you keep the hair longer on top compared to the sides, you achieve a similar back-styled look to this.
We’d say this is as long as hair can get before it falls into the longer hairstyle category.
High cheekbones, high hair.
The 90’s are alive and well with this mid-length hairstyle.
A perfect quiff hairstyle styled using medium-length hair.
Low-maintenance medium hair at its finest.
Medium hair combined with a full beard is a perfect way to show off how follicularly-endowed you are.
A couple of curls incorporated into a slicked-back haircut make for a devilishelly handsome look.
Medium hair with some hair product run through from root to tip.