If you’re a bit of a goldilocks when it comes to your hair – not too short, not too long, but in between – then you’ll be pleased to know there is plenty of inspiration when it comes to medium length men’s hairstyles.
In fact, medium haircuts have been adopted by many of Hollywood’s elite, including Chris Hemsworth, Jared Leto, Bradley Cooper and even Leonardo Di Caprio.
But what exactly constitutes medium length hair? Many grooming experts define it as being anywhere between two to four inches long, roughly shoulder length. If it goes past your collarbone, then you’re stepping into long hair territory.
With medium length hair, whether you’re rocking it long on top and sharp on the sides, or leaving it tousled and fuss-free, you’re open to more styling options that can be part shaved, straight, wavy and of course, with as little or as much product in your hair as you like.
Check out some of the men’s medium haircuts below along with our expert tips on how to maintain it.
Men’s Medium Hairstyles: Tips & Tricks
Just because you aren’t rocking an elaborate mohawk or mullet, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be spending time styling and maintaining the quality of your mid-length hair. With these easy tips and tricks, you can take your mop top from drab to dapper.
- Start with clean, towel-dried hair.
- Using a blow dryer, begin directing air upwards to the scalp until fully dry.
- Use a brush to take down any unwanted volume on the top on sides.
- If you have wavy hair, work in a matte paste or cream.
- If you have straight hair, try a higher-shine wax. Or, for a wet look, comb through some leave-in conditioner from the root to the tip when hair is still damp.
Expert Tip: International Stylist, Kevin Murphy
- The current look for medium hair is basically short hair that has been slightly grown-out, just over the ears. Whatever you do, don’t over-style it, you want the hair to have a natural texture and matte finish.
- The great thing about medium length cuts is that they’re so versatile and with the right products, you can have a new look every day.
- Many men don’t wash their hair properly, but if you’re going to let your hair grow out, using a good shampoo and conditioner is vital to keep it looking great.
- The cut is really important. Make sure you ask your hairdresser for a square shape because if the cut is too round it will look feminine.
Medium Length Hairstyles FAQ