In the age where streaming is king and free-to-air TV is slowly dying, it’s essential to know which are the best streaming services. One such platform, which has remained popular heading into 2023 is Stan, an Australian streaming platform. So, without further ado, here’s everything you need to know:
In this Stan Australia story…
What Is Stan?
Stan Australia launched in 2015 – the same year Netflix Australia launched – and is an exclusive video streaming service in Australia and as of now boasts over 2.5 million subscribers. Stan was at one time the second-largest streaming service in Australia (behind Netflix), but has recently been surpassed by more global streaming sites such as Disney+ and Amazon Prime.
The service was originally founded as StreamCo Media, a joint venture between Nine Entertainment Co. (an Australian media company) and Fairfax Media (an Australian/New Zealand media company). The name was changed to Stan just before its launch in 2015 and, following Nine’s acquisition of Fairfax Media in 2018, Stan is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Nine Entertainment Co.
Stan Australia Content
While Stan may be an Australian exclusive, it doesn’t offer just Australian content. In fact, the vast majority of Stan’s television shows, movies, documentaries, reality shows, etc. are from the US and UK, along with a limited amount of content from other countries.
This is due to various partnership deals with Sony Pictures, ABC, SBS, ViacomCBS, MGM, BBC Worldwide, Showtime, CBS, Village Roadshow and Waner Bros. International Television Distribution.
As a result, the platform features fan-favourite television shows such as The Office, Parks and Recreation and Gossip Girl as well as a huge range of box-office movies including the entire James Bond collection.
As well as these classics, Stan also features a huge catalogue of underrated content for TV enthusiasts and movie buffs.
Stan Australia Price
Stan has three subscription tier options: Basic, Standard and Premium. If you’re new to Stan, you can sign up for a 30-day free trial to see if it’s the best streaming service for you.
- Stan Basic costs $10 per month and allows you to watch content in standard definition on up to 1 screen at a time. Content can also be downloaded to up to 1 phone or tablet too.
- Stan Standard costs $16 per month and allows you to watch content in up to high definition on up to 3 screens at a time. Content can also be downloaded on up to 3 separate phones or tablets too.
- Stan Premium costs $21 per month and allows you to watch content in up to ultra high definition on up to 4 screens at a time. Content can be downloaded on up to 5 separate phones or tablets.
The Stan Sport add-on can be added to any Stan subscription tier for an additional $10 per month.
Stan Australia Features
As with other streaming services, because of the sheer amount of content available to watch on Stan, it needs to be easy for users to navigate. Fortunately, it is. Content is separated by movies and TV shows, or if you just use the main home page on whichever device you choose, you’ll be shown a mixture of the two.
Content will be further separated by genre or you can view recommended movies and TV shows based on your viewing habits.
You’re also able to set up separate profiles for individual users so that you can watch your own TV shows and movies, and not have anyone else interrupt a season you’re currently getting stuck into.
What devices can I use to watch Stan?
Stan can be easily accessed from a range of devices, including:
- Smart TVs
- Games consoles
- Streaming devices and set-top boxes such as Google Chromecast or Apple TV
- Phones and tablets
A full list of supported devices can be found on the Stan website.
Stan also offers an add-on for an additional $10/month called ‘Stan Sports’.
This will give you access to a HUGE range of sports matches, such as:
- Soccer – UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, UEFA Conference League & UEFA SuperCup
- Motorsport – Formula E, INDYCAR, World Endurance Championship, World Rally Championship, TCR Australia, S5000, GT World Challenge Australia, Touring Car Masters & TransAm
- Tennis – Australian Open, Wimbledon, Roland-Garros & US Open.
- Rugby Union – Super Rugby, Six Nations, Rugby Championship, Bledisloe Cup & Premiership Rugby.